WHERE: KareBoost Health (107 Cedar Grove, Suite 100, Somerset, NJ 08873)
TIME: Tuesdays at 6:30pm on February 14, March 14 and April 4, 2017
If you want your kids to be active, encouraging them to play a sport is a great start! Making sure your kids are getting the nutrition they need is key on game day and training days. As you probably already know, it is hard to do anything on an empty stomach! Having a plan for healthy eating will help your kids to have the energy they need to be active.
1) Have a good breakfast! For breakfast, start the day with a mixture of carbohydrates and protein. Oatmeal with milk, eggs with toast or a smoothie with fruit and yogurt are choices that will provide immediate energy and a long-term source of fuel.
2) Do not forget about lunch. Sure, the idea of running around on a full stomach is unappealing; however, remember that most student athletes compete after school. By the time they are at the game, lunch will have been a few hours ago and breakfast will be long past. For lunch, focus on carbohydrates for energy and protein to stay strong. Fruit, bread, lean protein and low-fat dairy are all good choices to include with lunch. Just try to avoid fatty foods, like French fries and pizza, as they slow digestion.
3) Pay attention to food safety. If you are sending your athlete to school with perishable foods like yogurt and deli meats, pack their lunch in a cooler. Nothing is worse than food poisoning on game day!
4) Stay hydrated. While food is important fuel, do not forget about hydration! Drinking water throughout the day is the best way to stay hydrated. Encourage your children to keep drinking water during and after the game.
5) Time meals carefully. Lastly, time meals so that your child eats a regular meal about 2 to 3 hour before game time, giving them enough time to digest. A light snack, like nuts or a granola bar, can be eaten 30 minutes to an hour before competition. Meals should be filling and well rounded, but there is no need to overeat or load up.
Come Check out our first Sports Nutrition Workshop on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 6:30pm!
Kara Unal JD, RYT
Greg Bing M.Ed., Certified Personal Trainer