Experts agree about the many benefits of exercise, and exercising as a family can be a great way to get healthy and spend quality family time together. Here are some exercises you can do as a family in each season:
In many parts of the country, cold, ice, snow, and early darkness can make exercising more difficult. However, there are indoor exercise activities that can be good options. For example:
- Walking indoors: Any decently sized indoor area can be a place to go for a walk.
- Take the stairs: Taking the stairs instead of riding the elevator might seem like a small thing, but small things can add up.
- Housecleaning or other chores can burn more calories than you might think and leave you with a boost in mood and sense of accomplishment.
- Do an exercise DVD together instead of watching a movie.
Of course, cold weather doesn’t mean you can’t get outside. Here are some fun outdoor family winter activities:
- Build a snow person
- Go ice skating
- Go sledding
As the weather warms, spring offers more opportunities for outdoor activity. Be sure to take advantage, and maybe try some of these things:
- Go for family walks
- Keep taking the stairs instead of the elevator
- Wash the family cars together
- Plant and tend a garden
- Ride your bikes instead of driving whenever possible
Summer can be a great time for physical activity. Here are some ideas:
- Go for a family hike
- Keep doing family bike rides
- Explore a new, active hobby together
- Participate in an organized sports league or club
The changing leaves signal winter will soon be here, but autumn is still ripe with opportunities for exercise. Here are a few ideas:
- Enjoy the changing leaves with a fall foliage hike
- Rake leaves together
- Go apple picking
Come brainstorm with our Health Coach on different ideas for your family
Greg Bing, M.Ed., Certified Personal Trainer